The Washington Post

PM Update: Storms slowly wind down this evening but more likely over the weekend

9:20 p.m. update: The Severe Thunderstorm Watch has expired for the entire area but a Flood Warning is in effect until 12:30 a.m. for urban areas and small streams in D.C., Arlington County, the cities of Alexandria and Falls Church, east-central Fairfax and west-central Prince George’s counties. Turn around, don’t drown in these areas where Doppler radar estimates indicate as much as 2-3″ of rain has fallen. Some moderate to heavy but weakening showers continue to linger across the southern suburbs.

6:10 p.m. update: A flash flood warning is in effect for the District, Arlington, Alexandria, and east central Fairfax and central Prince George’s counties until 7:30 p.m. A train of thundershowers, with torrential rain, will track through this region and may dump another 1″ or more of rain on top of what has already fallen. Remember: do not attempt to drive across a flooded road – turn around, don’t drown.

Radar & lightning:Latest D.C. area radar shows movement of precipitation and lightning strikes over past two hours. Refresh page to update. Click here or on image to enlarge. Or see radar bigger on our Weather Wall.

From 6:00 p.m.: Good news, first: the worst of today’s severe weather is over, even if we have a few heavy showers and storms this evening. The bad news: both Saturday and Sunday bring renewed opportunities for showers and storms, a few of which may be on the strong side. And there’s no relief from the humidity.

Through Tonight: Widely scattered showers and storms – some heavy but unlikely severe – will remain in the area through around sunset, then I expect the coverage and intensity to diminish. The rest of the night is then partly to mostly cloudy, with lows in the upper 60s and low 70s. A little patchy fog is possible towards morning. Winds are generally light outside of any evening showers/storms.

Saturday and Sunday: The stagnant weather pattern producing humid conditions and afternoon showers and storms persists. Highs Saturday are in the upper 80s with partly to mostly cloudy skies, and highs Sunday are in the mid-80s with skies tending mostly cloudy. Saturday night’s lows are around 70. Of the two afternoons and evenings, the coverage of rain is probably greatest Sunday (60 percent chance of showers and storms) with more widely scattered storms Saturday (40 percent chance). On both days, a few storms could produce strong winds and warnings, but we should not have as much severe weather as today.

See Camden Walker’s forecast into early next week. And if you haven’t already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter . For related traffic news, check out Dr. Gridlock.

Rainbow over the District by Brian Allen (via Flickr)

Amazing timelapse of storms with rainbow over Washington, D.C.: Our friends over at WJLA and WeatherBug captured this amazing timelapse of the storms moving over the District…

Jason is currently the Washington Post’s weather editor. A native Washingtonian, Jason has been a weather enthusiast since age 10.
Show Comments
Most Read

Heat Tracker

90-degree days year-to-date
Yearly Average
Record Most
67 (1980,2010)
Record Fewest
7 (1886,1905)
Last Year

At a Glance


61° /78°
Drop 60%


56° /70°


50° /64°


52° /68°


49° /60°


42° /59°
National Airport

Right Now

D.C. Area Almanac

Avg. High
Avg. Low
Rec. High
Rec. Low
Next Story
Jason Samenow · June 28, 2013

To keep reading, please enter your email address.

You’ll also receive from The Washington Post:
  • A free 6-week digital subscription
  • Our daily newsletter in your inbox

Please enter a valid email address

I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Please indicate agreement.

Thank you.

Check your inbox. We’ve sent an email explaining how to set up an account and activate your free digital subscription.