The Washington Post

D.C. area forecast: Calm start to holiday weekend before storm risk rises

Today’s Daily Digit

A somewhat subjective rating of the days weather, on a scale of 1 to 10.

Perhaps grading too high for somewhat steamy 80s. But it’s +1 for uneventful D.C. area travel weather

Express Forecast

Today: Partly sunny, humid. Highs: Mid-to-upper 80s.

Tonight: Patchy haze. Lows: Mid-60s to low 70s.

Tomorrow: Mix of clouds & sun. Quick t-shower? Highs: Mid-80s to around 90.

Sunday: More clouds than sun. 30-40% chance of showers/storms. Highs: Mid-to-upper 80s.


Look, we may complain about the humidity, but it should feel summery during this “last weekend” of the season, right? We could almost classify the first half of the weekend as somewhat uneventful, before the second half brings an increasing shower/storm threat. As Labor Days go, this one looks pretty typical weather-wise — could be better, could be worse. We’ll take what we get, and don’t forget the sunscreen all weekend long. Otherwise, enjoy!

Temperature Map

Temperatures: Latest D.C. area temperature map. See interactive map on our Weather Wall.

Today (Friday): A fair amount of sun combines with moderate to high humidity for a somewhat sweaty day with highs in the mid-to-upper 80s. Light breezes from the south near 10 mph don’t do much to stir the air, either. With less than a 10% chance for a shower or thunderstorm, we recommend a day at the pool or beach! Confidence: High

Tonight: The final work week of August closes out in classic fashion. Mugginess remains—along with chirping crickets & biting mosquitoes—as lows only dip to the low 70s downtown and mid-to-upper 60s outside the Beltway. Breezes remain light from the south-southwest. Confidence: Medium-High

For related traffic news, check out Dr. Gridlock. Keep reading for the forecast through the weekend…

Tomorrow (Saturday): Even with periodic clouds possible, we should see enough solar rays of infrared & UV to keep pool and beach goers happy. Just make sure to re-apply that sunscreen, please, and stay hydrated too. Highs in the mid-80s to around 90 should satisfy your summer weather craving, yes? We have just enough chance (20-30%) of an afternoon shower or thundershower to make it worth keeping an eye on radar. Breezes stay light from the south near 10 mph. Confidence: Medium

Tomorrow night: Muggy, of course, and mostly cloudy as well. We’ll hold on to a 20-30% chance of a shower or storm through the night. Otherwise, it’s a summery night with lows only briefly bottoming in the upper 60s to low 70s. Confidence: Low-Medium

Sunday: Skies may turn a bit more murky & gray, with a 30-40% chance of showers and storms as an atmospheric disturbance near the Great Lakes tries to move closer to our region. Partial sunshine should still be enough to push highs to the mid-to-upper 80s, and possibly near 90 if showers and storms aren’t too numerous. Confidence: Medium


Sunday night: Overnight lows remain very warm, in the low-to-mid 70s, because of insulating clouds and the great amount of water vapor in the air. Rain chances should scale back to around 20%. Confidence: Medium

Our Labor Day weather could be quite the “summer finale” in some ways. Partly cloudy skies still allow enough sunshine through to get our atmosphere hot and bothered. Highs in the upper 80s to near 90 seem likely for most of us and the humidity flexes its muscle. What could later be our saving grace from this air mass – a cold front moving in from the west – in the meantime amplifies our thunderstorm risk to a 50% chance. Confidence: Low-Medium

Tuesday has a chance to be mostly sunny, less humid and overall fantastic – if the cold front makes it through. Sure, many of us would be relegated to enjoying temperatures on their way to highs in the low-to-mid 80s only on our lunch break. But even during your commute the lower humidity would feel nice. Cold fronts can be tricky, though, so check back with us late this weekend to make sure the frontal passage is still on schedule. Confidence: Low-Medium

Beachcast: Water and air temperatures should be generally gnarly this weekend. Highs should range from the low 80s along the south Jersey and Delaware coast, to the mid-80s at the Maryland beaches, to near 90 in southern Virginia and North Carolina. Lows should generally be in the upper 60s to low 70s. Rain chances are minimal until late Saturday night, when the south Jersey and Delaware/Maryland beaches have a 40% chance of showers/storms, with that threat shifting to the VA/NC beaches on Sunday. Monday is even-steven for everyone with a 50-60% chance of storms, but with a little luck and a slightly delayed cold front, they could wait until dinner time or later. Travel safe!

Show Comments
Most Read

Heat Tracker

90-degree days year-to-date
Yearly Average
Record Most
67 (1980,2010)
Record Fewest
7 (1886,1905)
Last Year

At a Glance


-- /78°
Drop 30%


56° /70°


50° /64°


52° /69°


48° /59°


39° /57°
National Airport

Right Now

D.C. Area Almanac

Avg. High
Avg. Low
Rec. High
Rec. Low
Next Story
A. Camden Walker · August 30, 2013

To keep reading, please enter your email address.

You’ll also receive from The Washington Post:
  • A free 6-week digital subscription
  • Our daily newsletter in your inbox

Please enter a valid email address

I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Please indicate agreement.

Thank you.

Check your inbox. We’ve sent an email explaining how to set up an account and activate your free digital subscription.