Now that 2011 is a distant image in our pop cultural rearview mirrors, it’s time for yet another list: the most read Celebritology posts from the last year.
Yes, more than one item involving these two made the top 25 most-read blog posts list. (Evan Agostini/AP)
The list below comprises the Celebritology items that generated the most page views between Jan. 1 and Dec. 31, 2011, based on The Post’s internal metrics.
If you have a passing knowledge of how Web traffic works, you probably already know that racking up page views is a tricky — and, let’s be honest, occasionally depressing — business that involves an understanding of what readers are interested in, timing, synchronicity with Google and Twitter trends and, in some cases, dumb luck.
The following blog posts reflect that: Most of them focus on celebrity screw-ups, deaths, divorces and, on two occasions, Kirk Cameron. Nearly every post on the list is an example of breaking celebrity or entertainment news that Celebritology happened to cover at the precise moment that a wave of Internet interest was reaching its crest. This list does not reflect many topics (“American Horror Story,” Charlie Sheen, Sasha Fetus) that generated consistent interest in the blog during the past year, nor does it serve as some sort of psychological profile that tells us something important about the average Celebritology reader.
It is, however, an interesting snapshot of what people were clicking on voraciously in Celebritology during 2011. Which post was No. 1? Read on to find out.
25. Dakota Fanning reportedly attending NYU
24. Kid Cudi pens letter to fan who passed away from heart condition
23. Jesse James to wed Kat Von D this summer, says he can’t worry about Sandra Bullock anymore
22. Emma Stone subject of Jim Carrey’s funny/creepy video message
21. Kirk Cameron’s sad birthday photo: Caption this
20. ‘Twilight: Breaking Dawn’ scene apparently caused two seizures
19. Kim Kardashian given 20.5-carat ring by Kris Humphries
18. Chris Hansen of ‘To Catch a Predator’ caught in video sting?
17. Jeff Conaway coma: Dr. Drew, Tawny Kitaen react
16. Scarlett Johansson enlists FBI to investigate nude photo leak
15. Kate Gosselin ‘freaking out’ about future
14. Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries marry: The 411 on the wedding
13. Pamela Anderson in the role she was born to play: The Virgin Mary
12. Victoria Beckham at the royal wedding: Rate the hat
11. Ryan Dunn’s death: Bam Margera slams Roger Ebert tweet
10. Bristol Palin: Plastic surgery or not?
9. Kirk Cameron criticizes Stephen Hawking for saying ‘there is no heaven’
8. The new zodiac signs: Three stars who should welcome a realignment
7. Carrie Fisher shows off her 50-pound weight loss
6. Randy ‘Macho Man’ Savage reportedly dies in car accident
5. Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher divorce speculation continues; David Boreanaz says Rachel Uchitel saved marriage
4. Ryan Dunn, MTV prankster and stuntman, has died
3. Amy Winehouse found dead: Rihanna, Kelly Osbourne, Katy Perry and other celebs react
2. Melissa Leo drops the F-bomb in Oscar acceptance speech
And the most read Celebritology post of 2011 was ...
1. Christina Aguilera botches national anthem at Super Bowl
When she isn’t at a movie theater or writing about movies, Jen Chaney is ... um ... probably at home, watching a movie.