But literal Easter eggs? Today, Google rolls out the high art.
The latest Doodle hatched from the tech titan’s artistic team consists of six gemstone-encrusted eggs, to mark the 166th anniversary of the birth of famed Russian jeweler Peter Carl Fabergé.
[SUBSCRIBED? You can click HERE to subscribe to Comic Riffs’ public updates.]
In St. Petersburg, Russia, Fabergé was born into the family business on this day in 1846 — Papa was a master with stones and precious decorative art in Imperial Russia — and the son inherited the House of Fabergé nearly a quarter-century later.
Fabergé the Younger gained global fame for his signature eggs, and a turning point came with Moscow’s 1882 Pan-Russian Exhibition, when his gilded art took home the gold, leading to the king of all big-time clients: the Romanovs — as he won favor with Tsar Alexander III.
The Bolsheviks would nationalize Fabergé in 1918 — two years before a “heartbroken” Fabergé died at age 74.
Peter Carl Fabergé.
Comic Riffs’ TOP TWELVE ‘GOOGLE DOODLES’ THAT HONOR MUSICAL & VISUAL ARTISTS (*before today):
1. LES PAUL: THE PLAYABLE GUITAR
2. MARTHA GRAHAM: THE DANCING DOODLE
3. JOHN LENNON: IMAGINE THIS DOODLE
4. FREDDIE MERCURY: THE MUSIC VIDEO
5. JIM HENSON: THE CLICKABLE MUPPETS
6. CHARLES ADDAMS: THE SPOOKY DOODLE
7. ART CLOKEY: THE “GUMBY DOODLE”
8. MARY BLAIR: THE DISNEY DOODLE
9. DIEGO RIVERA: THE LARGER-THAN-LIFE MURAL
10. ALEXANDER CALDER: THE MOBILE DOODLE
11. WILL EISNER: THE SPIRITED DOODLE
12. RICHARD SCARRY: THE BUSTLING NEIGHBORHOOD