The Washington man who stabbed another man in the neck has been sentenced to four years in prison, the U.S. Attorney General’s Office announced.

According to the government’s evidence, the attack was prompted by an incident on Sept. 9, 2009, when a juvenile tried to grab the man who would later be stabbed.

The man was unharmed but reported the incident to police.

Three days later, about 10:15 p.m. the juvenile and three men, including 21-year-old Melvin Andrade, rode their bicycles to the busy intersection of 14th Street and Rhode Island Avenue NW.

Sitting on a planter at that intersection were two men, including the one who had gone to police about the juvenile. They were waiting for a third friend to arrive.

The juvenile and a man pulled out knives, and the juvenile asked the victim why he had called police. He threatened to “finish him off,” prosecutors said.

A fight ensued as the victim and his friend tried to defend themselves by swinging their belts. The friend they had been waiting for arrived and swung his belt as well.

Then, the victim’s belt was taken by one of the attackers, leaving him defenseless, according to prosecutors.

The victim tried to run to grab his phone from his jacket to call police, prosecutors said, and one of the attackers yelled, “He’s getting away.”

Andrade chased the victim and cornered him. The juvenile yelled, “Stab him, stab him,” and Andrade stabbed the victim first in the neck, and then in the arm. The knife blade broke off from the handle when the blade struck the victim’s arm.

The victim’s friends swung their belts to separate Andrade from the victim. Andrade and the three other men fled the scene of the attack.

The victim was hospitalized in critical condition and treated for life-threatening injuries.

Andrade was later arrested and tried in the stabbing. He was convicted in August 2011 and charged with aggravated assault while armed, assault with a dangerous weapon, felony assault and carrying a dangerous weapon.

After his four-year prison term, Andrade will be placed on five years of supervised release.