The Washington Post

Authorities: Man found dead lit himself ablaze while cooking

The man who was found dead and burned inside a Bladensburg apartment Wednesday lit his own clothing on fire while was he was cooking, authorities said Thursday.

Though fire investigators have yet to identify the man, they have ruled his death accidental, caused by the critical burns he received from the fire, authorities said.

The man was found dead about 11 a.m. in a sixth floor apartment in the 5800 block of Annapolis Road, authorities have said.

The fire caused only minimal damage to the man’s apartment, authorities said. The death is the first fire fatality in Prince George’s County in 2012.

Read more: The Post’s crime and public safety coverage

Matt Zapotosky covers the federal district courthouse in Alexandria, where he tries to break news from a windowless office in which he is not allowed to bring his cell phone.


Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Show Comments
Most Read


Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

Your Three. Video curated for you.