The Washington Post

Elderly McLean man dies after clothes catch fire while cooking

A 91-year-old man has died from burns after his clothes caught fire while he was cooking at a stove in the kitchen of his McLean apartment Thursday night, Fairfax County fire officials said.

Carroll Adams, who lived alone, succumbed early Friday morning after he suffered burns over 40 percent of his body, said Dan Schmidt, a spokesman for the fire department.

Firefighters responded to the scene in the 1800 block of Old Meadow Road around 9:40 p.m., but the flames had already been doused, Schmidt said.

“There was a neighbor who heard the man call for help,” Schmidt said. ”The neighbor put out the flames on the individual.”

Firefighters treated the man at the scene and then transported him to the burn center at Washington Hospital Center, where he died, Schmidt said.

The death marks the first fire fatality of the year in Fairfax County. There were no such deaths last year — a first in the history of the fire department.


Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Show Comments
Most Read


Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

Your Three. Videos curated for you.
Play Videos
Deaf banjo player teaches thousands
Unconventional warfare with a side of ale
It's in the details: Five ways to enhance your kitchen makeover
Play Videos
Drawing as an act of defiance
A fighter pilot helmet with 360 degrees of sky
Border collies: A 'mouse trap' for geese on the National Mall
Play Videos
Bao: The signature dish of San Francisco
This man's job is binge-watching for Netflix
What you need to know about Planned Parenthood
Play Videos
How to save and spend money at college
Pandas, from birth to milk to mom
Europe's migrant crisis, explained