The Washington Post

Fire that displaced 60 families ruled accidental

Authorities say a two-alarm fire that displaced 120 residents from a New Carrollton apartment building has been ruled accidental.

Prince George’s County fire officials said Wednesday that a malfunctioning heating and air-conditioning unit was to blame for the blaze in the 5000 block of 85th Avenue on Tuesday night.

Officials say firefighters used a ladder to rescue several people from the upper floors of the building, including an infant.

Four residents suffered minor injuries, and another 10 were treated at the scene. Officials say a firefighter also was treated at a hospital for an injury sustained while doing overhaul work.

The Freddie Gray case

Please provide a valid email address.

You’re all set!

Campaign 2016 Email Updates

Please provide a valid email address.

You’re all set!

Get Zika news by email

Please provide a valid email address.

You’re all set!
Comments
Show Comments
Most Read

local

Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

Close video player
Now Playing