Fire officials on Monday identified the Oxon Hill man killed Sunday in a fire that was sparked when he tried to pour kerosene into a space heater as 59-year-old Douglas Williams.

Williams was taken to the Medstar Washington Hospital Burn Center after the 5:15 a.m. fire, which burned the living room of Williams’s home in the 5100 block of Boulder Drive, authorities said.

He was pronounced dead there some time later, authorities said.

Fire officials had said previously that the kerosene was ignited by the lighted space heater, though it remains unclear whether vapors caused the fire or whether there was a spill. They cautioned against filling space heaters that have already been lighted indoors.