Spencer, the dog. (Courtesy of the Prince George's County Fire/EMS Department)

Updated: 1:45 p.m.

A handful of neighbors saved a family dog from a large blaze in a Beltsville home Monday, Prince George’s County fire officials said.

At least 3 neighbors noticed smoke and flames coming from the home’s garage shortly before 10 a.m. and called 911, fire officials said. One man raced to the Kennedy family’s house in the 4100 block of Ulster Road and banged on the front door to alert anyone inside.

No one was home at the time, but the man heard barking coming from the home, fire officials said. The man punched through a double-pane glass window next to the front door trying to get to the dog, said Kevin Kennedy, the homeowner. In th process, the man suffered minor cuts on one arm.

Another neighbor went to the back of the house and used a hammer to break a glass door leading to the basement, which allowed “Spencer,” the dog, to escape.

The 12-year-old mutt was unharmed and was reunited with the family.

“Certainly that dog would have sustained life-threatening injuries — or even fatal ones — if it wasn’t for the neighbor,” said Prince George’s County fire department spokesman Mark E. Brady.

The two-alarm fire, which burned the garage, second floor and roof, caused $250,000 worth of damage to the home, fire officials said. The Kennedy family has made arrangements for temporary housing.

Kevin Kennedy praised his neighbors, firefighters and the police for helping the family.

There was $250,000 worth of damage done to the home, fire officials said. (Courtesy of Prince George's County Fire/EMS Department)