Authorities have identified the man shot and killed during a confrontation with a Prince George’s County Police officer Monday night as 26-year-old Michael Anthony Bailey, and said they are exploring whether drugs might have played a role in his withstanding a Taser blast and trying to pull gun on the officer.

Prince George’s County Police spokesman Julie Parker said investigators recovered a vial apparently containing PCP and a ski mask from Bailey, of District Heights, along silver handgun he reached for during a confrontation with the officer. She said while detectives could not be sure Bailey was using the drugs, they were probing that possibility.

The incident occurred about 7:30 p.m. on an access road that runs near FedEx Field in Landover — an area that police officers know as one where drug activity is common, Parker said. She said an officer who was on routine patrol first spotted Bailey and two other men on the roadway, and when he approached them, they ran.

Parker said the officer gave chase and eventually caught Bailey and confronted him. In the course of that confrontation, Parker said, the officer shot Bailey with a Taser.

But the struggle was far from over. Bailey, Parker said, pulled the Taser prongs from his body and kept running. She said when the officer caught up to him a second time, Bailey reached for a gun in his waistband. The officer then fired his own gun twice and fatally wounded Bailey, Parker said.

Parker said the officer — who has worked for the department for three years and is expected to be identified Tuesday night — has been placed on paid administrative leave, as is department policy for shootings involving police officers. She said internal affairs investigators were probing the incident and had sent a class of police cadets to the scene to comb it for evidence.

The other two men who ran from the officer were later taken into custody, though they have not been charged with any crimes, said Capt. Steve Yuen, another Prince George’s County police spokesman.