The Washington Post

Waldorf man burned igniting 270-gallon barrel converted to BBQ grill

A 45-year-old man seriously burned himself in Waldorf Sunday while igniting a 270-gallon barrel that had been converted into a homemade barbecue grill, authorities said.

The incident occurred at about 6:15 a.m. in the 4000 block of Maguire Place, according to the Maryland Office of the State Fire Marshal. Authorities said the man was igniting the converted barrel when there was a sudden flash of flame.

The man sustained first- and second-degree burns to about 50 percent of his body, authorities said, but he was able to drive himself to the hospital and is expected to survive.

Matt Zapotosky covers the federal district courthouse in Alexandria, where he tries to break news from a windowless office in which he is not allowed to bring his cell phone.


Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Show Comments
Most Read


Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

Your Three. Video curated for you.