The woman in the black Mitsubishi blew past a Virginia state police trooper at about 93 miles per hour on Interstate 66 Tuesday morning, authorities said.

Just why Angela Akosua Cobbold, 27, was driving so fast remains unclear. But the Manassas resident’s alleged speeding turned out to be just the beginning of a bizarre series of maneuvers that ended with her being shot at by a military security officer at the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda and, later, crashing into a construction zone beside a White Flint Harris Teeter.

Cobbold was taken into custody by Montgomery County police and taken to a hospital for evaluation. She had not been charged with a crime as of Tuesday evening.

Police and a Navy spokesman described a chaotic scene Tuesday. Virginia State Police had been chasing Cobbold, but dropped their pursuit at the Maryland state line, police said. She made her way to Walter Reed, police said,and approached a Wisconsin Avenue gate.

Before reaching security, police said, she madea U-turn and tried to get back out.

While she waited in traffic, Navy security officers approached and saw Cobbold “biting on what appeared to be a bar of soap,” according to a Montgomery police statement.

Police said Cobbold drove into another car, then exited onto southbound Wisconsin Ave. She drove into the Medical Center Metro station, then toward Walter Reed, where a military police officer tried to stop her, officials said.

Cobbold stopped her Mitsubishi, but would not roll down her window, police said, so the military officer smashed two of her windows with his baton.

In an initial statement Tuesday afternoon, a Navy spokesman said a Navy security officer had been injured when a female driver hit the officer’s car. But Navy public affairs officer Joseph Macri said Tuesday evening that the officer sustained minor lacerations while breaking Cobbold’s windows, and that she did not hit the officer or the officer’s car while he was inside.

Macri said the incident remains under investigation, but “at this point in time it does not appear” Cobbold had any connection to Walter Reed.

Police said Cobbold backed into the cruiser and took off over the grass, before heading the Mitsubishi toward another military security officer, who fired at her. The bullet struck her car, not her, according to Montgomery police spokesman Officer Britta Thomas, and she kept driving.

Montgomery police had been called to Walter Reed to assist the Navy officers, Thomas said, and police received another call when Cobbold crashed near the Harris Teeter.

Thomas said Cobbold can be held for evaluation for up to 72 hours, so it not known when she will be charged and first appear in court.

This item has been updated.