We did it. We made it through the slowest sports week of the year. It’s all good times from here on out.
*The Redskins start training camp in two weeks, first preseason game is in four. The long-awaited trial of Robert Griffin III is about to begin.
*The youngest of the Wizards will play their first Summer League Game today. Shelvin Mack, Chris Singleton, Jan Vesely and draft picks Bradley Beal and Tomas Satoransky are expected to play, and with the team’s roster pretty much set, it’ll be out first real look at what this team can do.
* Tonight, the Nats will play the first game of the second half of the season. It is now acceptable to talk about pennants and playoffs. Just don’t talk about Game 7.
BECAUSE YOU DON’T READ THE PAPER...
* Sally Jenkins, who got the last interview with Joe Paterno before his death, says it’s clear now that he was a liar.
* Tracee Hamilton criticizes the “culture of reverence” in big-time college sports.
* Ian Desmond is starting to figure it all out.
* This graphic shows the timeline of first place in the NL East. Perhaps just as fun as seeing the Nats stay at the top is watching the Phillies line plummet.
TWEET OF THE NIGHT
Looks like Gio hooked Desmond up with a pair of those personalized headphones he gave to the rotation...
QUOTE OF THE NIGHT
Ian Desmond on the growing attendance at Nats Park:
“They see us playing better. We see them coming. We appreciate it. And here’s to the future.”
HIGHLIGHT OF THE NIGHT
Highlights from last night’s Kastles win over the New York Sportimes. The Kastles now have a 19-game winning streak.
WHAT TO WATCH TODAY
Washington at Miami, 7 p.m. MASN2. Detroit at Baltimore, 7 p.m. MASN. NBA Summer League: Atlanta at Washington, 4 p.m. Comcast SportsNet. All TV/Radio listings are here.
ESPN The Magazine has a SHOCKING story on all of the sex and drinking that goes on among athletes at the Olympics. Hope Solo talks about being drunk on the Today Show after their gold medal win and an anonymous Olympian quoted in the story calls it a “frat party with a very nice gene pool.”
AWESOME THING OF THE DAY
When Aaron Collins died, he left a very specific request in his will. “Third, leave an awesome tip (and I don’t mean 25%. I mean $500 on a f***ing pizza) for a waiter or waitress.”So his family has decided to raise money and leave as many large tips on f***ing pizzas as they can. Here is the first.