1) Rex Grossman tells Comcast SportsNet that “when it’s all said and done, I really feel like this team’s gonna win the East.”
2) The local and national media freak out.
3) Rex Grossman tells Fox5 that the reaction to his statement was “strange.”
4) After a very solid preseason debut, Rex Grossman is asked again about his prediction, saying “I’m not gonna say anything else any more.”
5) The Sporting News’s Clifton Brown comes to Redskins training camp on Monday. He gets one-on-one interviews with virtually every key figure in this drama. And he tosses out this quote from Grossman:
“I was just trying to get across that we have a lot of confidence. I didn’t realize that was such a big story. I was not standing on a soapbox, pounding my fist. But I own it. If you’re going to make a big deal about it, yeah, I’ll stick to it. We are going to win the East.”
And don’t give me the “what else is he going to say?” business. This is unprompted standing on a soapbox, pounding his fist. And I do love it so.
Oh, and are you doubting Rex? Because he has something for you, too.
“You can doubt me if you want to,” he told Brown, “but it has no bearing on how I’ll play.”