Red Line issues snarl a.m. commute

1:20 p.m. update | Metro preparing for evening commute

Metro continues to investigate the power failures that wreaked havoc on the Red Line during Wednesday morning’s commute. The transit agency is also sending out additional personnel to stations across the Red Line to try and prevent the problem from recurring Wednesday afternoon and evening.

“Based on what we’re seeing right now, the power infrastructure is stable,” said Metro spokesman Dan Stessel.

But as a precaution, Metro will send employees to power rooms where the outages occurred this morning as well as dispatching them to other stations along the Red Line. Having these employees on the scene will “significantly” speed up power restoration if this happens again, Stessel said.

And as a clarification: Earlier, we reported that the Red Line train was off-loaded at Tenleytown. The train actually off-loaded some passengers, but other riders remained on it and continued on toward Glenmont.

11:55 a.m. update | Speed restrictions continue

Normal service has largely resumed on the Red Line, though trains continue running at reduced speeds of 35 mph as a “precaution,” said Metro spokesman Philip Stewart.

10:30 a.m. update | Delays continue for Red Line

Emergency personnel stand outside the Tenleytown-AU Metro station as people emerge while it was shut down due to a Red Line train being stuck in a tunnel Wednesday. (Matt McClain for The Washington Post)

10:20 a.m. update | Train off-loaded at Tenleytown

The Red Line train that was stuck in the tunnel for more than an hour was off-loaded at the Tenleytown station.

10:13 a.m. update | Power restored, train off-loaded

All power has been restored between Friendship Heights and Van Ness, according to Metro spokeswoman Caroline Lukas. The train, which had about 1,000 riders aboard, was able to move to a station and off-load there without being evacuated.

10 a.m. update | No evacuation yet near Tenleytown

There were some reports that the train near Tenleytown was evacuated, but Metro spokesman Philip Stewart says that is not the case.

“We have not made a decision yet to evacuate the train,” Stewart said. He could not explain why the train has not been evacuated, adding that he does not know what crews on the scene are seeing.

9:50 a.m. update | Train remains stuck in tunnel near Tenleytown

The Red Line train that has been stuck in the tunnel near Tenleytown has been there for nearly an hour, according to Metro spokesman Philip Stewart. Crews are debating evacuation, and Stewart said he doesn’t have a timetable for when the train might be evacuated or moved.

Red Line trains are single-tracking around that stuck train, which means heavy delays continue for riders heading in both directions.

Original Post:

Power issues on the Red Line snarled the morning commute for riders, creating massive delays and resulting in a pair of trains requiring evacuation between stations.

Metro reports that power problems near the NoMa-Gallaudet U station, which created single-tracking between NoMa and Rhode Island Avenue, have been resolved. There are power problems between the Friendship Heights and Van Ness stations.

D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services is responding to a stuck train in the tunnel near Tenleytown, which is loaded with passengers who need to be evacuated.

Between 50 and 60 riders had to be evacuated from a train outside the Brentwood station about 9 a.m., according to Battalion Fire Chief Brian Lee, a fire department spokesman.

One of the riders, an elderly passenger, was transferred to an area hospital as a precaution, Lee said. They are also evaluating a few other passengers. The rest were transferred to shuttle buses and taken to Rhode Island Avenue.

As a result of the power issues, delays and crowding are a major problem for riders. Expect delays of at least 30 minutes, and prepare to encounter severely crowded station platforms and trains.