The Washington Post

Montgomery County seeks to add Capital Bikeshare stations

The Montgomery County Department of Transportation is trying to bring Capital Bikeshare to the part of the county that borders Washington.


The grant would pay for 29 stations with 204 bikes situated between the Beltway and the Maryland-D.C. border. Stations would be located in Bethesda, Silver Spring, the Medical Center area, Friendship Heights/Chevy Chase and Takoma Park.

These stations would become part of the Capital Bikeshare system currently serving the District and Arlington. Alexandria plans to join next year with six stations and 54 bikes.

The county received a $1.3 million grant in June to establish bike-sharing in Rockville and Shady Grove next year. Those stations would eventually connect with the proposed system in southern Montgomery.

The application to the state asks for 80 percent capital funding, while the county would be responsible for the remaining 20 percent. The county will seek private sector partners for that, said Montgomery County Council member Hans Riemer (D-At Large)

“We should be able to bring bikesharing into some of the urbanized areas of the county . . . that don’t have it yet,” Riemer said.

This is the fifth grant application the county’s transportation department has submitted seeking bike-share funding over the last three years. It’s the first one submitted to the state, officials said. The state grants are expected to be announced early next year, according to the county.

Show Comments
Washington Post Subscriptions

Get 2 months of digital access to The Washington Post for just 99¢.

A limited time offer for Apple Pay users.

Buy with
Cancel anytime

$9.99/month after the two month trial period. Sales tax may apply.
By subscribing you agree to our Terms of Service, Digital Products Terms of Sale & Privacy Policy.

Get 2 months of digital access to The Washington Post for just 99¢.

Most Read
Read stories based on reporting for “Trump Revealed,” a broad, comprehensive biography of the life of the president-elect.



Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

Close video player
Now Playing