Beginning Monday, Runway 1/19 will be closed between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m. for work that includes milling and resurfacing its entire 6,869-foot stretch.
Officials with the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority said the closures are timed so that daily airline flights scheduled between 6 a.m.and 11 p.m. can continue to use the runway during the project period.
The airport is working closely with airlines to minimize disruptions to their scheduled flights, officials said.
Other improvements to the runway include:
• Replacing the the centerline lighting system;
• Milling and resurfacing large portions of the a taxiway near the runway;
• Shifting one runway safety area 300 feet to the south;
• Replacing the runway approach light pier in the Potomac River;
• Replacing the runway approach light system.
The rehabilitation project is expected to last through the rest of the year.