1:08 P.M. Update:

Red Line trains are no longer single-tracking in the tunnel between Woodley Park and Dupont Circele. Metro has resumed normal service on both tracks, but watch for some lingering delays.

10 A.M. Update:

The Red Line delays and single-tracking are going to continue for the next few hours, lasting into the early afternoon, according to Metro.

The problem in the tunnel between Woodley Park and Dupont Circle is with an “arcing insulator,” which is essentially a third rail issue. When these sorts of arcing insulator problems happen, crews typically perform a short-term fix and go in during less-congested hours for more thorough repairs, said Dan Stessel, Metro’s chief spokesman.

But because this is actually five arcing insulators in a row, rather than one or two, crews have to perform the larger repairs right now, he said. The parts are en route and crews remain in the tunnel.

As a result, the single-tracking will remain between Van Ness and Dupont Circle until the early afternoon. Delays are easing somewhat as the morning rush hour ends, but commuters are still reporting crowded platforms and long trips.

The issues should all be resolved before the evening commute, Stessel said.

9:45 A.M. Update:

Major problems remain for Red Line riders. The single-tracking continues between Van Ness and Dupont Circle, and commuters are reporting long waits and lengthy commutes up and down the Red Line.

An additional headache: A Red Line train bound for Shady Grove had to offload passengers due to a door problem.

Original Post:

The Red Line is experiencing heavy delays due to a third rail problem in the tunnel between Woodley Park and Dupont Circle. As a result, Red Line trains are single-tracking between Van Ness and Dupont Circle.

Riders are reporting major congestion all along the Red Line, with crowding at multiple stations in addition to the delays. Red Line commuters have shared photos of packed platforms at Friendship Heights, Metro Center and Gallery Place.

Crews are currently in the tunnel working on the problem, and the single-tracking could be resolved by 9:30 or 9:35 a.m., said Dan Stessel, chief spokesman for Metro.

Trains were delayed by about 15 to 20 minutes at around 9 a.m., though Metro reports that the delays are closer to about 15 minutes right now.