An earlier version of this story inaccurately reported the size of the contract. It has been corrected.
Metro said it has awarded a $151.1 million contract to replace and modernize 128 escalators in its system over the next few years.
KONE Corp., a major escalator company, won the deal and is expected to do the work by 2020. Metro said it considered price, technical points and past performance in selecting Kone as the contractor.
Metro General Manager Richard Sarles said in a news release that the contract would allow the work on many of the system’s 588 escalators, making it “reconstructive surgery, not Band-Aid solutions.”
He said the replacement is needed because many of the system’s escalators are “beyond their useful life and need to be replaced or completely overhauled.”
Metro said 88 units will be done by 2018 and the rest will be done in 2019 and 2020.
Two major escalator repair projects were done recently at Foggy Bottom and Dupont Circle south entrance. While Metro said its reliability on escalators has improved by 7 percent from July through September 2012, many riders often say they don’t see improvements and report ones that are often broken.
The next escalator project will start soon at Pentagon Station. Three of the six escalators there will be replaced.
The stations that are part of the new contract where escalators will be replaced or modernized are on all five lines of the system. They include:
- Archives, 3 escalators
- Arlington Cemetery, 4 escalators
- Bethesda, 4 escalators
- Branch Avenue, 2 escalators
- Brookland, 1 escalator
- Capitol Heights, 3 escalators
- Cleveland Park, 5 escalators
- College Park, 1 escalator
- Columbia Heights, 7 escalators
- Congress Heights, 7 escalators
- Court House, 3 escalators
- Deanwood, 2 escalators
- Eastern Market, 3 escalators
- Friendship Heights, 6 escalators
- Georgia Avenue-Petworth, 7 escalators
- Glenmont, 7 escalators
- Huntington, 1 escalator
- Judiciary Square, 4 escalators
- Medical Center, 3 escalators
- Metro Center, 2 escalators
- Minnesota Avenue, 2 escalators
- Mt. Vernon Square, 5 escalators
- Naylor Road, 2 escalators
- NoMa-Gallaudet, 4 escalators
- Shady Grove, 1 escalator
- Shaw-Howard, 4 escalators
- Smithsonian, 6 escalators
- Southern Avenue, 4 escalators
- Stadium-Armory, 2 escalators
- Suitland, 4 escalators
- U Street, 4 escalators
- Van Ness, 6 escalators
- Waterfront, 3 escalators
- Woodley Park, 6 escalators
Follow me on Twitter: @postmetrogirl.