The Washington Post

Metro derailment caused by possible failure in equipment


(Source: Railway Technology)
(Source: Railway Technology)

A piece of equipment known as a “dummy truck,” which is used for moving around Metro rail cars that aren’t working, appears to have failed and possibly caused the derailment of a Red Line train last week.

Jim Benton, chairman of the Tri-State Oversight Committee — which helps oversee Metro’s safety — said the dummy trucks “for whatever reason could have been the cause of the derailment.”

“It is one of the possibilities,” he said. “Maybe the wheels were bad on the dummy truck. All of that has to be looked at in detail.”

A truck on a rail car holds the wheels, motors and brakes. A dummy truck has no motor but is used to move trains that are not working from one area to another. Dummy trucks are similar to “a donut tire on a car,” Benton said.

On Friday, dummy trucks were on two cars of the six-car train when it derailed near the Rhode Island Avenue Metro stop. A portion of the Red Line near Rhode Island Avenue was shut down for several hours during the morning commute and passengers had to use shuttle buses.

Benton’s group received a preliminary report from Metro on the derailment. Benton said Metro officials “did their due diligence on getting [TOC] the report quickly.” Typically, he said, the agency takes three business days to turn in a preliminary report.

“In this case, it came in real quick,” Benton said. “They wanted to make sure they had the report ready because of the severity of the issue.”

Benton said his group “would follow [Metro’s] investigation” of the incident and “make sure they come up with corrective actions that address this situation.” He said that there may be a need for new training on how to use trucks and that some changes to the “mechanical specifications” of the trucks may need to be made.

“We’ll follow through to make sure these incidents don’t continue to happen,” he said.

Metro spokesman Dan Stessel said the agency had no response to the TOC’s assessment of its preliminary report.

“No comment on an ongoing investigation,” he wrote in an e-mail.

Dana Hedgpeth is a Post reporter, working the early morning, reporting on traffic, crime and other local issues.



Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Show Comments
Most Read



Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

Your Three. Videos curated for you.
Play Videos
Sleep advice you won't find in baby books
In defense of dads
Scenes from Brazil's Carajás Railway
Play Videos
For good coffee, sniff, slurp and spit
How to keep your child safe in the water
How your online data can get hijacked
Play Videos
How to avoid harmful chemicals in school supplies
Full disclosure: 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, 1 ghoul
How much can one woman eat?
Play Videos
What you need to know about Legionnaires' disease
How to get organized for back to school
Pandas, from birth to milk to mom
Next Story
Ashley Halsey III · September 3, 2013

To keep reading, please enter your email address.

You’ll also receive from The Washington Post:
  • A free 6-week digital subscription
  • Our daily newsletter in your inbox

Please enter a valid email address

I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Please indicate agreement.

Thank you.

Check your inbox. We’ve sent an email explaining how to set up an account and activate your free digital subscription.