It’s a busy weekend in the District. Along with the Marine Corps Marathon, Howard University will be celebrating its homecoming.
Dr. Gridlock offers these tips for getting to (and around) the marathon route, but we also wanted to remind folks that streets around the Howard campus (including portions of George and Florida avenues) will be closed for the annual homecoming parade.
The staging area for the parade will be in front of the Johnson Administration Building at 2400 Sixth St. NW and will begin at 7 a.m. The parade itself is scheduled to begin at 10 a.m. and will run until approximately 12:30 p.m.
At the conclusion of the parade, roadways mentioned below will reopen to traffic:
- North on Sixth Street NW to Fairmont Street NW
- West on Fairmont Street NW to Georgia Avenue NW
- South on Georgia Avenue NW to Florida Avenue NW
- Southeast on Florida Avenue NW to Fifth Street NW
- North on Fifth Street NW to T Street NW
- East on T Street NW to Anna Cooper Circle NW
- Southeast around the circle to Third Street NW
- North on Third Street NW to Elm Street NW
- East on Elm Street NW to Second Street NW
- North on Second Street NW to Bryant Street NW
- West on Bryant Street NW to Fourth Street NW
- North on Fourth Street NW to the Valley (between College Street NW and Howard Place NW, where the parade will disband)