Safety Ed Reed said Thursday that he is “not 100 percent committed” to playing football in 2012.
In an interview with SiriusXM’s Adam Schein and Rich Gannon, the eight-time Pro Bowl selection said he is still considering his options for the upcoming year.
“It’s still May,” Reed said. “I know that time is kind of inching away at me. We do have a mandatory camp coming up that I’m still in deep thought about because other things are important to me now. I still know I can play at a high level. I can still go for another couple years physically. But other things is kind of taking place in my life right now and making me think about things differently.”
Reed, 33, is in the final year of his six-year, $44.4 million contract and is coming off a season in which he did not miss a game for the first time since 2008. He finished with 52 tackles, three interceptions and one sack.
In late March Reed told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, “If it was up to me, I’d be with a walking cane out there. I don’t know, man. I think four to five years is a reality for me.”
Reed’s new view could be somewhat contract-driven, as he has been pushing for a new deal and last month said getting a new contract was an issue of “respect.” When asked whether Baltimore — the team that drafted him in 2002 — knew he was on the fence about playing this fall, Reed said, “I’m sure they will after this interview.”
With Suggs expected to miss most, if not all, of the upcoming season, the loss of Reed would further hamstring a defense that ranked third in the NFL in total yards and points allowed per game in 2011.