The Pittsburgh Steelers’ upheaval continues with the release of another of the old gang — the increasingly expensive old gang — that helped them win their two most recent championships.
Ralph Cindrich, agent for linebacker James Farrior, said his client would be released, tweeting this morning that “James Farrior has been a rock for the Steelers but the #Turk takes no prisoners — he's gone.”
It’s just another sign that the Steelers, who had the oldest roster in the NFL last year, are determined to get younger. Others who have been released or are expected to be: Hines Ward, Aaron Smith, Chris Kemoeatu and Arnaz Battle.
Farrior, 37, was entering the final year of a five-year deal he signed in 2008 and played on the Steelers’ Super Bowl XL and XLIII championship teams and the team that lost Super Bowl XLV. Farrior, who played at Virginia, was the eighth overall pick in 1997 NFL Draft by the New York Jets.
Like Ward, Farrior hopes to find a spot with another team.
The Steelers’ issues aren’t limited solely to age; they also have precious little salary cap room. (Casey Hampton had been another candidate for release, but he underwent surgery to repair a anterior cruciate ligament in late January.) The team, according to ESPN, intends to tender wide receiver Mike Wallace rather than place the franchise tag on him.
There is some reassuring Steelers news: quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and his new offensive coordinator, Todd Haley, have talked — as much as they can with NFL rules prohibiting football talk until April 16. Haley replaced Bruce Arians, now with the Indianapolis Colts.
“It was a really good talk,” Roethlisberger told the Post-Gazette. “Unfortunately, we can't talk football right now and that's one of the big things I wanted to talk about. So it was just me talking to him, about golf, his family, my family, him having been a ballboy here, just things like that. It was a good start and I felt it was a good step in the right direction.”
More from Washington Post Sports