A 30-year-old 29-year-old man went into cardiac arrest at Congressional Country Club on Thursday morning during the first round of the U.S. Open. The incident occurred between the 10th green and 11th tee near a concession stand, outside the area of play. He was transported to a local hospital about 10:55 a.m. The man’s condition is not known.

“We had someone on scene within 30 seconds,” said Jim Seavey, Fire Rescue Operations Chief for the U.S. Open. “There was no delay. Fortunately we were early enough in the day and the crowds not high enough to hold us back.”

Graeme McDowell was on the course when the incident occurred.

“Obviously we heard someone obviously were having some problems over there. And that puts things in perspective for you,” McDowell said. “You’re out there trying to do your best, but it certainly puts golf in perspective when you see someone obviously fighting for their life. All the people that USGA has in place this week for events like that, it’s great to see the paramedics reacting and doing the job they’re here to do. We obviously hope that person is doing okay right now.”

In addition to providing advanced and basic life support capabilities in four zones on the grounds, the medical staff at the Open includes doctors from George Washington Hospital.

The morning incident was only the second major medical episode of the week. “It’s been a very, very, very slow EMS week thus far due to the nice temperatures,” Seavey said. Seavey said he expects the number of incidents to increase as the temperatures began to rise along with the humidity on Thursday.

Update, 4 p.m.: A spokesperson for Fire Rescue operations at the U.S. Open provided more details of Thursday morning’s major medical incident. The man, who is 29 years old, not 30, was a spectator on the course. Two police officers, Montgomery County police officer Deirdre Sugrue and Maryland State police trooper Paul Zimmerman were escorting Fred Funk’s group on the course when the man collapsed on the cart path next to the 11th fairway. Sugrue, a CPR instructor at the police academy, rushed over to help the man, performing CPR on the man until medical help arrived. MDTA police officer Christopher Neall also assisted in the rescue. The condition of the man who was taken to Suburban Hospital is not known at this time.