Police investigate the shooting of eight people in Oklahoma City after the Thunder eliminated the Lakers in the playoffs Monday night. (Sarah Phipps / AP)

Eight people were shot in Oklahoma City after the Thunder eliminated the Los Angeles Lakers in Game 5 of the teams’ NBA playoff series.

One person was hospitalized in critical condition; seven others were in stable condition, according to News9.com. One woman, who is pregnant, required medical attention after she was either hit or kicked in the abdomen, according to NewsOK.com.

As of Tuesday morning, Oklahoma City police said there had been no arrests and no one was in custody.

“We're very disappointed. I think the entire city was excited about the basketball win, and to see the results that took place on the streets a little bit later I think put a cloud over the entire evening,” Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett said. “We're trying to figure out now what to do to try and diminish the chances that it might happen again.”

Roughly 5,000 fans had filled the streets after the game and, at about 11:30, shots were fired in the popular Bricktown area near the arena. (See cellphone footage here.) “Some girls got into it with a group of guys, and the guys opened fire on the women,” Capt. Dexter Nelson told the Associated Press.

Shortly after leaving the arena, Chris Turan, a fan from Oklahoma City, told NewsOK he heard six to eight gunshots and took cover. The postgame scene was different from other playoff games, he said.

“I thought the element of the spectators changed for the worse tonight,” Turan said. “There seemed to be a lot of people out there looking for trouble.”

Dan Mahoney, Thunder spokesman, said the team would “continue to work with law enforcement to provide a safe environment.”

“It’s unfortunate that it happened on a great night for Oklahoma City and the Thunder, but in our society those things happen,” Mahoney said. “It did not happen at the arena, at the game, at Thunder Alley.”

Follow us: @CindyBoren | @MattBrooksWP