A document from the D.C. police department shows that Emily Miller, the chief investigative reporter for WTTG-TV (Fox 5), didn’t fall victim to a home invasion on New Year’s Day 2010 as she has told various interviewers in recent years, including some gun-rights lobbying groups. Instead, Miller spotted someone leaving the property as she returned from walking a dog.

“[Miller] stated that she left out to walk the dog at 1515hrs and when she returned at 1525hrs she observed [the suspect] exiting from behind the fence which leads to the side of the house. [Miller] asked [suspect] ‘What are you doing here’ and [suspect] stated ‘I am delivering firewood,'” according to a supplemental D.C. police report.

As noted in this blog last week, Miller would subsequently tell far more scary versions of this encounter to gun groups and others. In an “NRA All Access” interview, for instance, Miller stated that “a man — the police believed to be a drug addict — got into the house and started robbing it. So when I came back into the house, he was in there robbing.” The sleek NRA presentation furnishes a reenactment of the scene, complete with night lighting, even though the event occurred just after 3 p.m., according to the supplemental D.C. police report.

On several occasions, Miller has stated that she was a “victim of a home invasion,” including at a Feb. 10 speech in Annapolis to assist gun-rights groups in lobbying against gun-control restrictions. A common understanding of “home invasion” is a terror-laden crime in which intruders burst into a residence and (in most cases) do bodily harm to the occupants.

The supplemental report also floats another curious discrepancy: Whereas the document claims that the suspect cited a “firewood” delivery, Miller has claimed that the bad guy had said he was at the residence to clean the pool. At the time of her encounter, Miller was staying in the Northwest Washington home of prominent lawyer Jack Quinn of QGA Public Affairs and Susanna Quinn, founder of lifestyle services outfit Veluxe. Miller’s job, in part, was to walk the Quinns’ Golden Retriever, and on the fateful dog-walk she’d failed to lock the door behind her.

There’s more. In recounting the episode, Miller has claimed that she confronted a veritable crime syndicate.

After the man left, I was still suspicious so I went inside, grabbed my Blackberry and clicked on the icon for the camera. I walked down the street, and as I turned the corner, I saw about 15 scruffy young men standing around two pickup trucks. We were at the end of a woody, dead-end road.
I nervously held up my Blackberry to take a quick photo of them and the license plates. Suddenly, the blood-shot-eyed guy darted out, blocking the shot. “What are you doing?” he asked. I looked around at all the men staring at me and was suddenly scared.

That account comes from a well-read Washington Times series titled “Emily Gets Her Gun,” which Miller parlayed into a book titled, “Emily Gets Her Gun . . . But Obama Wants to Take Yours.

But the 15-person-strong band of scruffies doesn’t make the supplemental report’s description:

[Miller] stated that she went into the house and felt that something was not right, so she exited the house to take a photo of [suspect’s] vehicle. [Suspect] approached [Miller] and gave her a business card that stated [a tree service] and [suspect] left the scene. [Miller] stated that [suspect] was operating a silver pick up truck with landscaping on the side of it.
[Miller] stated that she was contacted by her credit card company at 1945hrs about some fraudulent charges on her credit card. [Miller] stated that she checked her purse and noticed that her Visa credit card and $50.00 in US Currency was missing. [Miller] stated that while she was out walking the dog she had left her purse on the counter in the kitchen of the offense location.

Those fraudulent charges gave the D.C. police department a case to pursue, and it did. Detectives visited a Wal-Mart as well as Devine Line Tattoos & Body Piercings — both in Warrenton, Va. — to figure out who had tallied up the illegal purchases. They viewed security footage from the Wal-Mart and determined that the suspect had gone to Devine Line for a “tattoo of a Skull with a blunt in it’s mouth and the word Stoned under it,” according to the delightfully detailed supplemental report.

Good investigative work! Yet the pursuit of a criminal case requires a cooperative complainant, something that wasn’t apparently on hand here. Police attempted to contact Miller three times amid its investigation — on Feb. 3, 2010, Feb. 4 and Feb. 9. Three voicemail messages went unreturned. “The undersigned made several attempts to contact the complainant which ended in negative results. The undersigned request that this report be suspended until additional means of contacting the complainant is provided,” reads the report.

So where did the case go from there? Unclear: Inquiries to the D.C. police department and the U.S. attorney’s office yielded nothing conclusive on the matter. We’ve contacted Miller and her publicist for comment on all this and will update if and when we hear back. Susanna Quinn says that Miller has “never been anything but truthful” about the crime and notes that it was a terrifying encounter.

With the alleged home invasion as a starting point, Miller has compiled an extensive stack of clips on guns and Second Amendment issues, starting with the Washington Times series and extending to a recent WTTG piece in which she reported that she’d obtained a gun-carry permit in the District. Approval of the permit was contingent upon Miller’s demonstrating that she faced “special dangers.” Police approved the permit, she reports, based on “two different threats against me, which I had documented with police reports.” The WTTG report outlining all this discloses that Miller is a “proponent for Second Amendment rights.”