Two men tied to the lost iPhone 4 prototype that turned up online last year pleaded not guilty Thursday. (Jason DeCrow/AP)

The San Mateo County Times reported that the men — Brian Hogan, 22, and Sage Wallower, 28, — did not appear in court, but pleaded not guilty to all charges.

Both men were charged with misappropriating stolen property. Wallower also is charged with possessing stolen property.

A Nov. 28 date has been set for trial, but the men are likely to seek a settlement, the newspaper said.

The latest case development comes just days after a CNET report surfaced that Apple had taken action to track down another lost iPhone prototype left in another San Francisco bar last July.

That report provided few details and cited one unnamed source, though the story’s writers — Greg Sandoval and Declan McCullagh — are respected tech reporters. Still, many others have cast doubt on the veracity of the report, especially after a San Francisco Police Department spokesman told SF Weekly that there were no records of a raid on a man’s home described in the story and that he had said as much to CNET “weeks ago.”

Sandoval and McCullagh updated their story late Wednesday to include comments from the owner of the bar where the phone was reportedly forgotten.

The owner, Jose Valle, said that he had not heard from Apple or the police on the matter, but does remember a man calling multiple times asking about a lost iPhone last month.

Related stories:

More technology coverage from The Post

Report: Apple employee loses iPhone 5

Report: Apple 3G MacBook prototype called home

iPhone 5 reportedly spotted on train