Rep. James P. Moran has requested a meeting with the Department of Defense to discuss concerns that the new Mark Center in Alexandria is vulnerable to a terrorist attack.
“The Congressman has been very concerned about many aspects of this whole Mark Center debacle, the security situation being another example of how poor planning and a lack of coordination with all the stakeholders has resulted in a less than optimal situation for those working and living at and near the site,” Anne Hughes, a spokeswoman for Moran, said Wednesday.
Critics of the Mark Center have warned in the past that the site lacked adequate setback from surrounding roads. “It’s not like some of us did not point this out, numerous times,” said Rep. Gerald E. Connolly, (D-Va.). “I don’t know how anybody can be surprised.”
The first of 6,400 federal employees began moving into the site at Seminary Road and I-395 last month as part of the Pentagon’s Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) changes.
“The traffic impact of moving 6,400 people to a Metro-inaccessible site represents the most immediate threat to our community, but these security concerns are legitimate and must be addressed by DOD,” Hughes added.
Share your thoughts in the comments section below.