The Washington Post

Pilot program would expedite auction of federal buildings

Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) hopes to get rid of some of the government’s 14,000 unused buildings by creating a five-year pilot program to expedite their sale.

Under the proposal, which the House will consider today, the Office of Management and Budget and the General Services Administration would maintain a list of the top 15 high-value, unused federal property to auction off at fair market value. The list would be maintained on a rolling basis: as one property is sold another gets added.

The agencies and GSA would be reimbursed for administrative costs associated with the closures, and 98 percent of the remaining proceeds would be handed over to the Treasury. The other 2 percent would go to homeless assistance.

The bill omits properties that will be closed under the Base Closure and Realignment Act, property on Native American reservations, property that shouldn’t be sold for reasons of national security and Post Office facilities.

GSA would also be required to maintain a public list of all unused and under-used federal properties.

The Congressional Budget Office estimates the program would cost $2 million to implement over the five-year period.

More to read:

Approaches vary on selling excess U.S. property

Sale of federal buildings could be difficult

Senators introduce excess federal buildings bill

Bill to sell underused federal buildings advances


Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Show Comments
Most Read


Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

Your Three. Videos curated for you.
Play Videos
From clubfoot to climbing: Double amputee lives life of adventure
Learn to make traditional soup dumplings
Deaf banjo player teaches thousands
Play Videos
Unconventional warfare with a side of ale
The rise and fall of baseball cards
How to keep your child safe in the water
Play Videos
'Did you fall from heaven?': D.C.'s pick-up lines
5 ways to raise girls to be leaders
How much can one woman eat?
Play Videos
How to get organized for back to school
How to buy a car via e-mail
The signature drink of New Orleans