Also in Weekend:
• Our picks for the best events this weekend, including the start of Jazz in the Garden, the Hometown Holidays festival in Rockville and the opening of the Simpsons-themed “Mr. Burns, A Post-Electric Play”at Woolly Mammoth.
• Of course, this weekend is also a time to think about those who have served our country in the military. We rounded up many of the weekend’s events tied to Memorial Day.
• After spending time as a member of the Terence Blanchard Quintet, pianist Fabian Almazan has his first album as a band leader. On “Personalities,” Almazan takes the time to tweak Cuban classics. Also read record reviews of local singer Erik Deutsh, folk group Great Lake Swimmers, singer-songwriter Jess Klein, freak-folk singer Rocky Votolato and folk-pop singer Simone Felice.
• For its 25th anniversary, DanceAfrica, DC will perform a dance festival honoring three men who dedicated their lives to teaching and promoting African dance and music.
• Mitchell Herbert is known for his many great performances on the stage, but for “The Illusion,” he’s heading behind the scenes to direct.
• Washington-based, Chinese-born sculptor Foon Sham is known for his baseketlike abstract wood sculptures. In his latest exhibit, he’s focusing on creating works out of the byproduct of his sculpting: sawdust.
• Get the latest movie reviews, including the latest chapter of the “Men in Black” series and “Steve Jobs: The Lost Interview.”