The Civil War Trust and National Parks Conservation Association announced today that they had successfully purchased 3.89 acres at the western entrance to Harpers Ferry National Historical Park for $725,000. The purchase of the land along Route 340 was financed through federal funds, a large gift from a donor who asked not to be identified and numerous smaller donations, according to a news release.

The land, which will be transferred to the park, contains a piece of the historic thoroughfare known as the Harpers Ferry-Charles Town Turnpike which was a military target of the Confederate forces during the Sept. 15, 1862 battle. It was a decisive Confederate victory which is mostly remembered as the largest surrender of Union troops during the war.