– He and his wife, Susan DiMarco, met as children, but started dating only after Johnson visited her dental practice. He “endured three years of dental work before she agreed to a date with him,” according to their wedding announcement in the New York Times.
– His uncle, 2d Lt Robert B. Johnson, was one of the famed Tuskegee airmen.
-During his freshman year at Morehouse College, his grade-point average was a “dismal 1.8.”
– His grandfather, Charles S. Johnson, a prominent sociologist and participant in the Harlem Renaissance, was the president of Fisk University.
– He was once a law partner of the late Ted Sorensen, John F. Kennedy’s speechwriter. Johnson called him “one of my personal heroes.”
– He once said in an interview that in his next life, he’d like to be an “NYC subway motorman, preferably the #7 Flushing line.”
– His birthday is Sept. 11.