(This post has been updated.)

The State Department’s latest defense on why it can’t comply with your ancient Freedom of Information request for documents is: Blame it on Hillary.

State says its document-reviewing personnel are too overwhelmed by reviewing those 55,000 pages of e-mails former secretary Hillary Clinton turned over last year to do much else.

That apparently means other folks, who’ve waited years on their requests for State Department documents, are being told they’ll have to wait even longer because of the Clinton review.

The National Security Archive, for example, filed a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request in 2001 for records of phone conversations of former secretary Henry Kissinger, who left Foggy Bottom 38 years ago. The Archive, which has gotten more than 15,000 conversation transcripts, filed suit in March for the remaining 700.

The department on Friday asked U.S. District Court Judge Rosemary Collyer for a six-month extension to turn over the documents. State said there’s been a huge “surge” in FOIA lawsuits in the last year alone, suits that “have grown increasingly burdensome and complex.”

“These exceptional circumstances are compounded” — here it comes — “by the fact that a significant portion of [State’s] FOIA-processing resources are currently devoted to reviewing for public release the collection of approximately 55,000 pages of emails that were recently provided to State by former Secretary Hillary Clinton. . . and to making those documents available to the public by posting them on a department website.”

Clinton tweeted in March that the State Department “said they will review them for release as soon as possible.” And Secretary of State John Kerry told reporters the agency would “undertake this task as rapidly as possible” — though another official cautioned the process could be time-consuming.

Call it the “Hillary Dodge?”