Update, 4:30 p.m.: At a 4 p.m. briefing by phone, Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley (D) told reporters that statewide outages now stand at 443,375.
He said state officials are going to be pushing utility companies “as hard as we can to get everyone restored as quickly as we can.”
O’Malley plans to visit St. Mary’s County, one of the region’s hardest-hit areas, on Tuesday.
Update, 12:55 p.m.: Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley (D) said 472,000 households in the state remained without power, as of his 12:15 p.m. briefing on recovery efforts after Hurricane Irene.
That figure is down from 822,000 at its peak, said O’Malley, who cautioned that it could be “several days” before all power is restored by private utility companies.
“I think none of us are satisfied and won’t be satisfied until everybody gets turned back on,” O’Malley said during a news briefing at the Maryland State Operations Center in Reistertown. “We’re going to stay on this until everyone is restored.”
O’Malley said that in addition to Southern Maryland, Anne Arundel County was hit “very, very hard” and still has 90,000 outages.
O’Malley said the majority of the remaining outages are in territory served by Baltimore Gas & Electric. With 354,000 outages remaining, the company is “the power loss leader” in Maryland, he said.
Pepco, the other large provider in the state, has 40,000 outages, about three-quarters of those in Prince George’s County, O’Malley said. The governor said Pepco has been making good progress in Montgomery County.
At a briefing earlier in the day, O’Malley said that priority was being given to “critical” facilities, such as dialysis centers.
He said he continued to believe that Maryland fared pretty well during Irene. “I’m very proud of the people of this state,” he said.
After O’Malley’s latest briefing, aides announced that a planned visit to a children’s dental clinic in Baltimore had been canceled — because of power outages.
This post has been updated since it was first published.