About 823,000 people in Maryland are without power and about 200 roads are closed because of Hurricane Irene. But all things considered, “we fared pretty well through this,” Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley (D) said Sunday morning as he briefed reporters on the storm.
O’Malley said only one death in Maryland had been attributed to the hurricane. It occurred, he said, as a result of a fallen tree and chimney collapse in Queen Anne’s County.
O’Malley said the 823,000 power outages far exceed the number that resulted from last winter’s major snowstorms, when about 300,000 people lost power.
“That will require a lot of hard work, a lot of cooperation, a lot of coordination,” he said.
During the 10:15 a.m. briefing at the State Emergency Operations Center in Reistertown, O’Malley said all of Maryland’s interstates are open, as are Baltimore-Washington International Marshall Airport and the Port of Baltimore.
Ocean City fared far better than expected during the storm, O’Malley said. Southern Maryland appears to be the hardest hit area of the state, the governor said. St. Mary’s and Calvert counties likely have the largest percentage of power outages, he said.
O’Malley said school closures this week “no doubt will be an emerging story” due to power outages and road closures.
O’Malley said one reactor at Calvert Cliffs Nuclear Power Plant closed during the hurricane as a preventive measure. He called that “routine.” Reports that a second reactor closed were false, O’Malley said.