The list released by the former Massachusetts governor includes 10 state legislators, none of them in top leadership positions, and several elder statesmen of the Maryland GOP, including both of the state’s national committee members, Louis M. Pope and Joyce Terhes.
Two former party chairmen, both of them relatively moderate, also show up on the list: Audrey Scott and John Kane. So does Mary Kane, a former Maryland secretary of state and the 2010 running mate for the failed comeback campaign of former governor Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. (R).
The most prominent lawmaker on the list is Sen. Allan H. Kittleman (R-Howard), a former Senate minority leader. Kittleman lost that post during this year’s legislative session after announcing his support for civil unions. He wound up being the only Republican in the legislature to vote for a same-sex marriage bill.
Some prominent Maryland Republicans have also shown interest in the rival presidential campaign of Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R). Richard Hug, Ehrlich’s former chief money man, is organizing a fundraiser for Perry this month in Baltimore.
Romney’s complete Maryland list, as released by his campaign, is below:
· State Sen. Richard Colburn
· State Sen. Joe Getty
· State Sen. Allan Kittleman
· Del. Kathryn Afzali
· Del. John Cluster
· Del. Addie Eckardt
· Del. Donald Elliott
· Del. Michael Hough
· Del. Nicholaus Kipke
· Del. Steven Schuh
· Former U.S. ambassador to New Zealand Robert Goodwin
· National committeeman Louis Pope
· National committeewoman Joyce Terhes
· 2010 Republican candidate for lieutenant governor and former secretary of state Mary Kane
· Former Maryland Republican Party chairman John Kane
· Former Maryland Republican Party chairman Audrey Scott
· Former Maryland Republican Party first vice chair Chris Cavey
· Former Maryland Republican Party first vice chair Chuck Gast
· Maryland Republican Party Treasurer Christopher Rosenthal
· Garrett County Republican Party Chairman Brenda Butcsher
· Howard County Republican Party Chairman Loretta Shields
· Montgomery County Republican Party Chairman Mark Uncapher
· Frederick County Council member Paul Smith
· Howard County Council member Greg Fox
· State Central Committee member for St. Mary’s County Mary Russell