Jayson Werth pointed toward the dugout after reaching on a walk on Saturday night in the sixth inning of his first rehab appearance. He had just completed his fourth at bat, but Werth wanted to remain in the game and run the bases.

He said he’s “pressing the envelope” with his rehab assignment with the Potomac Nationals two and a half months after surgery to repair a broken left wrist he suffered May 6 against the Phillies.

As long as his wrist doesn’t hurt, he’s not going to be doing any further damage, Werth said.

One batter later, Werth scored from first on a three-run double and finished the night 1 for 3 with an RBI and one strikeout. He played six innings in the field with one putout.

“I’m relatively pain free,” said Werth. “Still a little stiff, still need some more strength but overall I think it’s in a good place to start.”

Potomac eased past visiting Myrtle Beach, 9-0, at Pfitzner Stadium. The Nationals lost a combined no-hitter with one out in the ninth.

Werth doesn’t have an exact time table yet for his return to Washington. He said his main concern is to be in shape to play every day. He’s been swinging for a week and said he’s still trying to adjust his timing on breaking pitches. He said those adjustments are at least a week away.

“I got a 3-1 changeup in my last at bat that I was real jumpy on,” said Werth. “I never really saw the pitch. And that’s a little frustrating.”

In 27 games this season with Washington, Werth hit .276 with three home runs and 12 RBIs. Saturday was his first minor-league appearance since playing two rehab games in 2008 with Philadelphia’s Class A affiliate in Clearwater, Fla.

He’s been on the disabled list since undergoing wrist surgery in early May.

Chad Tracy, also rehabbing with Potomac, made his second consecutive start Saturday and finished 2 for 4 with a run scored.

Werth popped up to the second baseman in the first inning and drove in a run with a single to left center in the second inning. In his third at-bat, he worked a full count before chasing a curve ball, low and away.

In the second inning, Werth slid into second base and he was forced out to end the inning. He wore a guard on his left wrist and said he wasn’t thinking about the injury when he slid. He said the only way he would feel vulnerable to another injury would be the same fielding play he injured it on.

“You can’t play like that,” said Werth. “You can’t worry about those things, but it is an issue.”

Werth said the rainy weather, such as Saturday’s, irritates the wrist. He was warned by others that the wrist would become “achy.”

“But, I guess that’s something I’m going to have to deal with for the rest of my life,” Werth said.