The Nationals will introduce Gio Gonzalez at a news conference at Nationals Park later this afternoon, and a reminder of the 26-year-old lefty who can occupy the top of a rotation for the next seven years is a good way to reduce the sting of Prince Fielder signing with the Detroit Tigers.

We’ll have updates from the news conference, and from any Nationals front office reaction to the Fielder news. In the meantime, a few nuggets:

>>> The Nationals missing out on Fielder will not change their approach to Cuban defector Yoenis Cespedes – the Nationals, despite extensive scouting, have decided not to make a serious run at him, a person with knowledge said. The Nationals believe the Marlins, Indians, Cubs and others are willing to offer far more for Cespedes, who gained residency in the Dominican Republic yesterday, than they are.

The Nationals have the same view of Jorge Soler, a 19-year-old Cuban defector who may have more upside in the long run than Cespedes. “It’s going to be a lot more than what we think he’s worth,” the same person said.

>>> The second annual Stephen Strasburg 5K Walk & Fun Run will take place Saturday in San Diego, at Tony Gwynn Field on the campus of San Diego State, Strasburg’s alma mater. Organizers expect more than 1,500 participants for the event, which benefits the San Diego State baseball program. Here’s a quick report from last year’s event.

>>> Television reporter Debbi Taylor will not be returning to MASN broadcasts for the 2012 season, Taylor confirmed. “It seems they are eliminating the reporter position, unfortunately,” she said in an email. “It was great run.”

MORE

Fielder, Tigers make a deal

LaRoche not fazed by Fielder talk

Zimmerman talks Prince, contract