Special counsel Robert S. Mueller III is seeking to question President Trump in the coming weeks about his decisions to oust national security adviser Michael Flynn and FBI Director James B. Comey, according to two people familiar with his plans.Mueller’s interest in the events that led Trump to push out Flynn and Comey indicates that his investigation is intensifying its focus on possible efforts by the president or others to obstruct or blunt the special counsel’s probe.Trump’s attorneys have crafted some negotiating terms for the president’s interview with Mueller’s team, one that could be presented to the special counsel as soon as next week, according to the two people.The president’s legal team hopes to provide Trump’s testimony in a hybrid form — answering some questions in a face-to-face interview and others in a written statement.
Written questions? What, is Trump too much of a scaredy-pants to answer follow-ups?
* Burgess Everett and Seung Min Kim report that Sen. Chuck Schumer is taking his offer of funding Trump’s border wall off the table, which Republicans will take as proof of his bad faith, unlike their own successful efforts to quash a deal on DACA.
* Credo Mobile has launched a campaign to pressure Senate Democrats not to cave to any of Trump’s demands, including the wall, an example of how the left will be paying close attention to their handling of the next round of negotiations.
* John Stoehr says that Democrats did actually win something important.
* Rep. Jerry Nadler, the top Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee, says that Devin Nunes’ supposedly blockbuster memo is “profoundly misleading.” I’m beginning to think it’ll turn out to be just the transcript of a recent episode of “Hannity.”
* Rosalind Helderman reports that George Papadopoulos’ fiancee says he’s going to be the John Dean of the Russia scandal. John Dean, you’ll remember, pretty much took down Richard Nixon.
* And Jacqueline Thomsen reports that #SchumerShutdown has become the top hashtag among Russian Twitter bots. Way to go!