White House staff secretary Rob Porter, a mostly unknown but deeply influential aide who spends almost every day by President Donald Trump’s side, said Wednesday he plans to resign following abuse allegations from his ex-wives.In a pair of reports published by the Daily Mail, Porter’s two ex-wives detailed episodes of verbal and physical abuse. The Daily Mail published a copy of a protective order obtained by Porter’s second wife in 2010, and later published photographs of Porter’s first wife with a black eye she said came from Porter punching her. […]But a senior administration official said Kelly was previously aware of the 2010 protective order, which prevented Porter from getting a full security clearance.
I guess Kelly said to him, “No prob, bro — we all know chicks lie.” After all, didn’t over a dozen women independently make up stories about President Trump grabbing them and kissing them against their will?
It couldn’t be because they were worried that giving the federal government their names and addresses might one day be used to round them up for deportation, like say if some xenophobic white nationalist got elected president.
* Daniella Diaz reports that Nancy Pelosi has spoken for more than seven hours on the floor of the House in support of Dreamers. As of now, she’s still going.
* Jacob Levy offers a deeply thoughtful meditation on Trump’s use of language — on the power it has exerted over Republican voters and the GOP Congress, and on the folly of imagining that his words alone won’t do serious damage to American political life, as long as he is constrained from acting.
* A new Quinnipiac poll finds that Trump’s approval has risen to 40 percent, and 48 percent give him credit for the state of the economy.
* Ryan Goodman unpacks the letter Chuck Grassley and Lindsey Graham wrote in an effort to breathe life into the deflating Nunes effort. Unsurprisingly, it’s another big nothing.
* Gerard Ramalho reports that EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt says global warming might be a good thing, because humans flourish when it’s warm. Seriously, he said that.
* And finally, if you haven’t seen the Trump hair video, you simply must. For yourself. For the children. For America.