Eight firefighters were injured while trying to put out a fire that consumed a large waterfront home in Calvert County early Sunday morning, according to the Huntingtown Volunteer Fire Department.

The department received a call just before midnight on Saturday about a possible chimney fire at a home on Soper Road along the shores of the Patuxent River. As the fire quickly spread to the entire home, officers at the scene summoned every fire department in the county, along with a few from neighboring Charles and St. Mary’s counties. The fire ultimately raged out of control and all firefighters were urged to quickly get out of the house, said department president Gene Farrell.

Two firefighters were flown to Washington Hospital Center with second-degree burns. One of the two had internal burns caused by inhalation, but he was conscious and talking Sunday morning, Farrell said.

“When you hear that he’s talking, you know that he’s through the roughest spot,” Farrell said, adding that fellow firefighters have been at the hospital since the two were admitted to provide support.

Six other firefighters were taken to a local hospital for minor burns or smoke inhalation, and four of the six were upgraded to a trauma center. “The most important thing is that everyone got out, and everyone’s doing well,” Farrell said.

Firefighters were still at the scene on Sunday afternoon, looking for hidden hot spots and pouring water on the remains of the house. It was unclear if anyone was at home at the time of the blaze, but there were no reported injuries to residents.

The Colonial-style blue, white and brick home was built about five years ago, according to a real estate listing from last year. At the time, the

8,800-square-foot house was listed at $1.85 million and advertised as having nine bedrooms, six and a half baths, an au pair or in-law apartment in the basement, multiple decks and a pier with four boat lifts.