Five students at a Northwest Washington elementary school were taken to a hospital for precautionary exams Thursday after ingesting an undetermined substance given to them by another student, a D.C. fire department spokesman said.

Spokesman Pete Piringer said the youngsters, who attend Thomson Elementary School at 1200 L Street NW, complained of not feeling well after ingesting “possibly a medicine of some sort” that belonged to a fellow student.

He said none of the students appeared to be seriously ill but were taken to a hospital as a precaution.