[This post was updated at 5:07 p.m.]

A worker has been electrocuted while trimming branches at a home in Takoma Park.

Montgomery County fire department spokesman Captain Oscar Garcia says the worker was apparently trimming branches near power lines on Saturday morning. He says at some point the ladder likely came into contact with a live power line.

Takoma Park Councilwoman Colleen Clay tells WJLA-TV that a homeowner had hired two workers to clear storm debris from Hurricane Irene. One of the workers was on the aluminum ladder that was leaning against a tree.

Pepco was contacted to turn off power in the area.

Takoma Park police are investigating the incident.