2. Obamacare really is a “train wreck,” causing its delay (another downer for the left) or further bolstering opposition to the bill. This makes reelection that much harder for Democrats who voted for it.
3. Another foreign policy crisis breaks out with plenty of recriminations directed both at the White House and at Senate Dems for “leading from behind,” putting in a dullard as secretary of defense and slashing national security spending. (In addition, more details may come out on Benghazi, Libya.) This also spells trouble for their frontrunners in 2016.
4. Unemployment remains high.
5. Immigration reform passes, taking away a stick with which to beat Republicans.
6. Immigration reform fails, making clear the president is a political weakling and setting up the GOP for the argument that with a GOP Senate and someone like Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) in the White House we’d solve our immigration problem.
7. President Obama gets a deal on entitlement reform, upsetting his base.
8. Obama gets no entitlement reform, leading to recriminations that he wasted political capital and further estranged independent voters.
9. Republicans in state houses and/or Congress introduce legislation to ban late-term abortion and /or more heavily regulate abortion clinics.
10. Republicans nominate sane, sober candidates to run in competitive Senate seats in 2014.