• Requires DHS Secretary and GAO Comptroller General to jointly certify that these triggers are met before Registered Provisional Immigrants (RPI) can adjust to Lawful Permanent Resident (“green card”) status:
1. 100% Situational Awareness – monitoring capability at every segment of Southern border
2. Full Operational Control – defined as at least a 90% apprehension rate along Southern border
3. Biometric Exit System – fully operational and in use at all air and sea ports of entry to which U.S. Customs and Border Protection is currently deployed; retains current law for land ports
4. Nationwide E-Verify System – must be implemented (identical to S.744)
• Mandates that DHS deploy newly defined border security metrics to gauge success or failure.
• Requires DHS to issue a Southern Border Security Strategy within 120 days to achieve operational control of every sector of the Southern border, and a 50 percent wait-time reduction at land ports of entry.Authorizes supplemental and emergency appropriations to improve border security, including $1 billion per year over 6 years for land port of entry infrastructure improvements and personnel.
• Allows DHS to enter into public-private partnerships to reduce port of entry wait times.
• Increases the number of Border Patrol and Customs Officers by 10,000 over 5 years.
• Authorizes a new grant program to allow Southern border state and local law enforcement agencies to effectively combat drug trafficking, human trafficking, human smuggling, and spillover violence.
• Allows USCIS to share critical information contained in legalization applications with federal law enforcement and national security agencies.
• Prohibits illegal aliens convicted of serious misdemeanors, such as domestic violence, aggravated assault, child abuse, violation of a protection order, and drunk driving, from receiving RPI status.
• Adds new authorities and tougher penalties to combat abusive human smuggling and human trafficking, including a federal money laundering predicate for human smuggling; and increased penalties for aggravated forms of the offense—e.g., involving death, forced labor, or sexual exploitation.
• Strengthens various law enforcement tools to target transnational criminal and terrorist organizations operating on the Southern border.
June 5, 2013 at 12:02 PM EDT