- Trump in Saudi Arabia disclaims any concern for human rights.
- Trump bullies NATO allies in public (and physically shoves one leader).
- Trump’s budget is built on a rickety scaffold of math errors, economic nonsense and fantasyland predictions.
- Trump’s advisers defend massive cuts to the safety net, coupled with huge giveaways to the rich.
- The Congressional Budget Office score, which the House did not require before voting on a mammoth health-care bill, confirms that GOP leaders falsely claimed they protected people with preexisting conditions.
- Trump’s lawyers contemptuously swat away a request for information relating to his receipt of foreign monies, finding that it is too impractical to abide by his own promise and the Constitution.
- Trump has nothing but praise for thuggish autocrats, including Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte.
- Trump continues to pursue a Muslim ban, repeatedly struck down by the courts as bigotry disguised under the cloak of national security.
- A GOP congressional candidate, conclusive evidence suggests, attacks a reporter and apparently lies about it (he later apologizes for actions he denied less than 24 hours earlier), but party leaders do not repudiate him or demand that he withdraw.
- Jared Kushner, the beneficiary of egregious nepotism, now is a focus of the FBI’s Russia investigation, bringing a once-in-a-lifetime scandal one step closer to the presidency.
- Sean Hannity is forced to stop propagating a detestable hoax about a young man’s murder; Fox News after a week withdraws the original false report without much explanation or an apology.
May 26, 2017 at 12:00 PM EDT