- The Obamacare repeal-and-replace effort failed again.
- Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price has rung up a tab of hundreds of thousands of dollars on charter planes.
- Trump’s Environmental Protection Agency chief is constructing a soundproof booth for himself for $25,000. Oh, and he has a massive security detail one would expect to go with a defense secretary instead.
- Then we learn: “The acting head of the Drug Enforcement Administration is planning to leave his post later this month after losing confidence in President Donald Trump’s respect for the law, a source familiar with the decision said Tuesday.”
- Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) announced his retirement, creating an opportunity for another Bannon-backed Republican or a Democratic takeaway. If Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) replaces Corker as the Senate Foreign Relations Committee chairman, Trump will face a thorn in his side on Russia, human rights and more.
- Trump ally Roger Stone was invited to testify before the House Intelligence Committee to deny colluding with Russia. Some were not impressed with his convoluted explanation for his tweet anticipating the WikiLeaks disclosures.
- Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) is reportedly agreeable to legislation to protect the special counsel.
- Speaking of which, special counsel Robert S. Mueller III reportedly will interview White House aides soon. Mueller also has enlisted the cooperation of the IRS with regard to former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort and former national security adviser Michael T. Flynn.
- The situation in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands is desperate. Trump seems disengaged and overly sanguine about the situation. Katrina comparisons abound.
September 27, 2017 at 11:53 AM EDT