There’s no denying the similarities between Kate’s dress and the lacy, long-sleeved look of the Princess of Monaco. Grace Kelly’s 1950s wedding gown was designed by MGM costume designer Helen Rose. Her dress featured floral lace and seed pearls and was constructed of four parts including a bodice, silk skirt, ruffled petticoat and tulle train.
Kate’s dramatic cathedral train and statement sleeves also reflect details of Princess Diana’s history-making wedding dress.
Still, something about Kate’s gown reminded us of Maria. The “Sound of Music” heroine wore a fitted-bodiced dress with long sleeves and a v-neck to her own military wedding.
What do you think?
• Wedding survival guide: When and where to watch
• Photos: London prepares for the royal wedding
• Photos: Kate Middleton, princess to be
• Wedding video channel: The latest from London
• Wedding trivia: Make a royal match
• Interactive: Take a 3-D tour of Westminster Abbey
• Royal Wedding 2011: All the latest news, photos, video
* On Friday, catch live blogging of the wedding starting at 4 a.m., and live video beginning at 5 a.m. at washingtonpost.com/royalwedding.
Follow the Royal Wedding on @PostStyle, or comment below via Facebook, Yahoo, AOL or Hotmail.