We’re curious to hear your ideas, so we’ve identified what we think are the most tongue-tying station names in the system:
1. Woodley Park – Zoo / Adams Morgan
2. U Street / African-Amer Civil War Memorial / Cardozo
3. Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport
4. New York Ave – Florida Ave – Gallaudet U
5. Mt Vernon Sq 7th St – Convention Center
6. Archives – Navy Memorial – Penn Quarter
So, what would you call the Woodley Park stop if you could? Adams Morgan? The Zoo? PandaLand? If you need inspiration, Greater Greater Washington has an extensive roundup of current Metro policies versus proposed changes — transfer stations would only be 13 characters or less, while all stations would have to be 19 characters or less — and a list of successful, short-but-sweet station names across the country.
Tell us your ideas in a Tweet using #namethatmetro, or tell us in the comments below sometime between 4 p.m. EST Monday and 4 p.m. EST Thursday. If you’re using comments, vote for your favorite names using the “Recommend” button — the best ideas will rise to the top of the list when comments are sorted by “Most Recommended.”
We’ll pick our favorites and put it to a reader vote Friday.